Naturalisation is a method by which an individual can apply to become a British Citizen. Mayfaor Solicitors are here to provide you with expert assistance with your naturalisation application, from determining whether you meet the requirements, to submitting an application on your behalf, to advising on what to do next following the outcome of your application.
Applications for naturalisation must be made using application Form AN. A non-refundable fee will need to be paid upon submitting the application.
Requirements for Naturalisation
The requirements to be met, before a naturalisation application can be made, include:
- Demonstrating that you have sufficient knowledge of life in the UK;
- Demonstrating that you are of good character; and
- A residential requirement that you have been resident in the UK for at least five years and not been absent during the UK during this time too much.
The requirements for naturalisation applications that are based on partnership to a UK citizen or person with settlement/indefinite leave to remain differ slightly from the standard requirements.
The numerous requirements to be met may appear daunting. However, we are here to help you through these – we can provide you with further details as to what these naturalisation criteria entail, including:
- Providing you with further information regarding the test/course required to show sufficient knowledge of life in the UK, including the fee and pass mark;
- Determining what must be listed to show that you are of good character;
- Advising you on the possible implications of a criminal record, or even a driving fine, may have on your eligibility;
- Calculating the residential qualifying period for you, taking into account immigration time restrictions, absences from the UK and any breach of immigration laws during the residential qualifying period.
We have the relevant expertise and experience of dealing with all aspects of naturalisation applications, from the seemingly straightforward to the seemingly hopeless, and are confident that we can assist you with yours.
Granting of Naturalisation
Anyone who wishes to acquire British Citizenship via naturalisation will do so at a public ceremony and are required to take the Oath of Allegiance/Affirmation.
We can provide you with all details of the relevant public ceremony, by when the Oath/Affirmation is required to be taken, and provide advice on whether you may be exempted from the requirement to take the Oath/Affirmation.
Refusal of Naturalisation
If naturalisation is refused, there is no right of appeal. However, a refusal may be challenged by Judicial Review. We can help you with assessing your circumstances and determining whether a Judicial Review challenge is worth pursuing and subsequently assist you with making the Judicial Review application.
If you have any questions about the naturalisation process please call us now, to assess your situation and get you started in the right direction Please Call Us on 020 3393 1747 or email us .